Studies have shown that macular degeneration is a widespread eye condition that has led to vision loss among people aged 50 and above worldwide, affecting these individuals’ quality of life.
Fortunately, several medical treatments for macular degeneration, such as eye injections, PDT, and radiation treatment, are available at Eyeonce Eye Clinic Gangnam. Our clinic’s proficient eye doctors, Paik Dong Won, Head Director, and Jung Sae Rom, Medical Director, are known for being the best at treating Macular degeneration.
What is Macular Degeneration?
Also known as Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD) is an eye condition that affects the retina—a vital eye organ responsible for central vision. This disease damages the macular, the small area around the retina’s center, resulting in gradual central vision loss. Although macular degeneration is joint among people in their 50s and 60s, it can also occur in young individuals with high myopia.
What are the symptoms and causes of macular degeneration?
There has not been any concrete evidence as to what causes macular degeneration; however, there are several risk factors that increase the likelihood of developing this condition, including:
- Old age– as the name suggests, Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD) is widespread among seniors.
- Genetics– This eye condition can also be hereditary. A family with a macular degeneration history increases the risk of developing the eye condition.
- Smoking – Several studies have shown smokers have a higher chance of developing macular degeneration than non-smokers.
- High myopia– Patients with high myopia or nearsightedness are at a higher risk of developing macular degeneration.
- Cardiovascular – Individuals with high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels, and other cardiovascular diseases are likely to develop macular degeneration.
- Blurred or distorted vision– People likely to develop macular degeneration usually experience a loss of sharpness or clarity in vision. Typically, straight lines may appear wavy or crooked.
- Blank spots when reading– When reading a book or newspaper, for instance, patients may notice gaps or missing parts in the text or images they are trying to read.
- The middle part of an object appears blank or black– People with a high chance of developing macular degeneration may notice or see a dark spot in the center of the objects they are looking at.
- Contrast perception decreases, and a permanent black dot in the central vision appears.If you find distinguishing between colors and shades complex and a permanent black dot appears in the center of your vision, you are likely developing macular degeneration.
These symptoms may vary in severity, and you must consult an eye doctor if you experience them. At Eyeonce Eye Clinic, we suggest our patients have early consultation and diagnosis for immediate medication to slow the progression of their condition and preserve their vision.
What are the two types of macular degeneration?
Our ophthalmologists at Eyeonce Eye Clinic Gangnam acknowledge that there are at least two types of macular degeneration which are the following:
- Early Stages Macular Degeneration– In this stage, the signs and symptoms may not be noticeable. Still, with a comprehensive eye exam, an eye doctor may be able to spot early signs of macular degeneration during the examination. As mentioned above, if you experience any symptoms, consult your eye doctor immediately.
- Severe Case of Macular Degeneration– In this stage, the patient’s central vision has been severely affected, making it difficult to perform daily activities, such as reading, driving, and even recognizing faces. Patients may also see a permanent black dot or blank spot in their central vision.
Consultation process at Eyeonce Eye Clinic:
- If you suspect that you have macular degeneration, schedule a consultation with Eyeonce Eye Clinic.
- During the consultation, our eye doctors will take your medical history, ask about your symptoms, and run a series of tests and examinations to identify your condition.
- After taking your medical history and conducting the exam, our eye doctors will recommend a custom-fitted course for your needs.
What are the different treatment options at Eyeonce Eye Clinic?
Here in our clinic, we offer four different treatment methods for macular degeneration such as:
- Medical treatment for patients with early-stage macular degeneration – Our doctors at Eyeonce Eye Clinic may recommend this type of treatment which involves taking a specific combination of vitamins and minerals that can help slow the progression of your condition. However, this treatment may vary depending on the patient’s needs and medical history.
- Eye injections – Eye injections are another standard treatment option for macular degeneration at Eyeonce Eye Clinic. These injections contain anti-VEGF medication, essential in slowing down or even stopping your eye condition. Our doctors suggest eye injections for patients with both early and severe cases of macular degeneration.
- PDT Treatment or photodynamic therapy – Is another treatment available at Eyeonce Eye Clinic. This medication involves injecting a medication into the patient’s bloodstream, which is then activated by a particular type of laser light. The latter is aimed at the blood vessels in the patient’s eye, which destroys the abnormal blood vessels contributing to macular degeneration. Our doctors recommend this treatment method to patients with certain types of macular degeneration.
- Radiation Treatment – Radiation Therapy is another option that Eyeonce Eye Clinic may recommend for patients with macular degeneration. This treatment uses a particular type of radiation that targets and destroys abnormal blood vessels in the patient’s eyes. Radiation therapy is best when in combination with other treatment options, such as eye injections or PDT.
Book an appointment with our expert doctors today to learn more about these treatment options! They are more than willing to help you overcome macular degeneration.
Why choose Eyeonce Eye Clinic Gangnam for macular degeneration treatment?
Utmost Patient Care
Here in our clinic, we ensure to give you your money’s worth. We guarantee you receive the best medication possible and assure them you are guided and understood, making you feel comfortable and confident at every step.
Our eye doctors at Eyeonce Eye Clinic offer comprehensive ways to evaluate our patient’s eyes and assess what macular degeneration treatment is best for them. Our ophthalmologists take their time to cater to your questions and address your concerns, ensuring you make an informed decision about our vision correction options.
Expert Eye Surgeons
Our ophthalmologists, Head Director Dr. Paik Dong Won and Medical Director Dr. Jung Sae Rom, are highly knowledgeable and skilled in treating Dry Eye Syndrome. They always use the latest techniques and technologies to ensure optimal results.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is an eye condition affecting the retina’s central part called the macular. It is a progressive disease common among people aged 50 and above that causes a gradual loss of central vision
This eye condition is widespread among seniors between 50 and 60. However, younger individuals with high myopia may also be at risk.
There is no definite cure for macular degeneration, but there are different treatment options, such as in Eyeonce Eye Clinic, that may help slow its progression.
Macular degeneration is a severe eye condition that can significantly impact one’s vision and quality of life. However, with the proper treatment and care, you may slow down the progression of this disease and maintain good vision. If you suspect that you have macular degeneration, consult our expert doctors at Eyeonce Eye Clinic. Our English-speaking staff is more than happy to assist you with your needs!